A baby shower is an exciting event for a new mom where she and the new baby are the centers of attention. Even if you are not attending the baby shower (for example if you are a male family member or friend) it is still a good idea to pick up at least a small gift for the baby.
The new mom may have made a list of some general things that the baby will need, and if she has a list like this, you can check it out. However, frequently you will have to pick a gift without a list. So here are some pretty 'safe bets' as far as baby shower gifts go. I got a few of these gift ideas when I was in a Target store looking for a gift. I asked several parents who had babies with them in their shopping cart what sort of gifts would be good for a new baby and here are some of the answers that I got.
These baby gift ideas are very easy to find and very reasonable at a store like Target. For $50 you can get a whole assortment of goodies.
1. Clothing: All babies need clothing, and they grow very fast! If you have ever shopped for baby clothes you may be amazed to see that there are several different sizes of clothes needed for the baby just during the first year!
There is 0-1 month, 3 to 6 months, 6 to 9 months, and on and on! Therefore, there are plenty of types of clothing that will be needed in plenty of different sizes. Just remember to keep in mind how old the baby currently is, because baby clothing sizes change rapidly, and you would not want to buy a gift that is already too small by the time you present it to the parents!
2. Teething toys: All babies 'teeth' and will need little chew toys of sorts. These may become dirty quickly and it is probably smart to replace them often, so a number of these teething toys may be useful. You might find ones with rattles or bells. Just make sure it is not big enough for a baby to swallow.
3. Stuffed animals: A cute stuffed animal may make a nice gift. The softest kind available maybe liked the most for snuggly comfort. Additionally, some of these stuffed animals may have sounds built-in. You may want one that makes sounds, or you may want an old fashioned one without noise. A good example is Winnie-The-Pooh or Eyeore.
4. Diapers: Parents always need diapers and they are a very practical and useful gift. Just remember to look at the sizes correctly, considering how many months old the baby is. You also might find out what type of diapers the parent prefers to use.
5. Baby books: It is great to read to young children and really helps their little minds grow. While a very young baby won't be able to understand stories yet, parents are always looking to build a nice little library of quality books to read to their children.
There you have 5 simple baby shower gift ideas! Hopefully, you will be able to find a nice gift or even a shopping bag full of little gifts to bring the baby and the parents enjoyment.